Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Training Officer -SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Field Project Manager-SII
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The
Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the ‘Iconic Island’. Hivos
Southeast aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy to
the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency on
fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local
population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to
establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos
Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while
combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of
the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with
the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos
Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income
benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models
developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is
working to achieve two outcomes, including:
1) Improvement of rural livelihoods through utilization of renewable
energy in rural communities; and
2) Sustainable business models to create market (energy market and energy
appliances market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The Training Officer Sumba Iconic Island will be responsible for developing
human resources capacity by delivering training programmes to local partners
and beneficiaries and other stakeholder during project implementation
together with the Training Coordinator.
The Training Officer will be responsible for implementing and monitoring the
delivery of training programmes and make sure that all training activities
comply with Hivos Southeast Asia and MCA-I standards and targets. He/she
will work with a project team and coordinates closely with the Training
Coordinator. The position is based in the Sumba field office.
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi
stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realising 100%
renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. Assist general preparation, execution, evaluation and documentation
of workshop/training events for Hivos Southeast Asia consortium staff and
3. Support the coordination with third parties and consortium members
for the purpose of coordinating training-related work.
4. Prepare training sessions and invite training participants and
develop the training protocols in coordination with the Training Specialist.
5. Assist preparation, printing, and dissemination of training modules.
6. Contribute to make sure the training output comply with key success
7. Contribute to evaluate training execution and output and improving
the quality of next training sessions;
8. Assist in development of training report;
9. Assist preparation of quarterly or annual report with all team
10. Contribute to Hivos Southeast Asia overall organizational and policy
11. Be a reliable and supportive team member to the whole team.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. Bachelors level university degree in communication, human resources,
development or equivalent in a relevant field
2. With at least 3 years’ experience in developmental organizations or
international NGOs or comparable experience
3. Strong knowledge of skill development
4. Proven exposure to community engagement and government liaison, in
particularly on delivering capacity development programmes
5. Indonesian citizen.
6. Sufficient communication skills with fluency in written and spoken
7. Familiarity or concern with the issues of renewable energy.
8. Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to
work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
9. Willing to have frequent travels and stay at Sumba
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘Training
Officer-SII’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted
candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.