PT Forest Carbon Consultants Indonesia (Forest Carbon) is a Southeast Asia-based firm that addresses the need for a regionally focused team capable of providing technical and advisory services for forestry, conservation, and sustainability projects in tropical rainforest countries. Our primary mission is to reduce forest-based greenhouse gas emissions by providing market-driven, scientifically rigorous technical services to public and private stakeholders in their efforts to conserve threatened natural forests and reforest degraded areas. The company is part of the Equator Group, a Southeast Asia-based group of firms with additional offices in Singapore and Vientiane, People’s Democratic Republic of Laos.
Forest Carbon is growing its Indonesia country team and is looking for a strong and motivated Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing Expert. The Expert will support Forest Carbon’s portfolio in providing specialized GIS and Remote Sensing services to donor and private sector partners, with particular emphasis on spatial database construction, spatial analyses such as monitoring land-use change, policy development, and services related to High Carbon Stock (HCS) and High Conservation Value Forest (HCVF) assessments. The GIS and Remote Sensing Expert will lead Forest Carbon’s data collection, storage, analysis, mapping, imaging, and communication of geospatial information.
This position will be based at the Forest Carbon offices in Jakarta, with occasional trips to field projects to provide direct technical advice, monitoring and capacity building of local partners and staff. The GIS and Remote Sensing Expert will work under the general supervision of the Indonesia Country Director, as well as work closely with other colleagues in the office as a team. The GIS and Remote Sensing Expert will provide day-to-day management as well as technical support, guidance and mentoring to the current GIS team.
SCOPE OF WORK
The GIS and Remote Sensing Expert will:
- Have extensive experience with a range of GIS/RS software, including ArcGIS, Erdas Imagine, Geomatica and eCognition for the purposes of forest classification mapping and change detection analyses. Experience with Idrisi would be a plus
- Perform RS/GIS analysis such as land-use and cover change in Indonesia, Malaysia and other Southeast Asian countries
- Conduct research, field work (on-site), and gather GIS and bio-physical, social, economic, political and other data relevant to the project.
- Capture data in different formats using global positioning system equipment, digitizer and other means whilst ensuring proper handling, maintenance, use and storage of GIS/GPS equipment and peripherals.
- Collect and synthesize data related to ongoing and planned Forest Carbon projects
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Indonesia Country Director
- Be familiar with environmental concepts and forestry issues in the South-east Asia region.
- Understand REDD+ principles and how geospatial analyses address planning and monitoring for projects.
- Understand carbon stock calculations and be willing to learn more as part of a larger team
- Have experience with field inventories and be prepared to go to the field to remote forest landscapes.
- Be able to mentor and work effectively in a team composed of a diverse cultural background.
- At least five years of professional experience in conducting GIS project(s) involving data management and spatial analysis. An equivalent combination of education and experience is also acceptable. Experience with conservation projects is desired.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree (S1) and ideally a Masters (S2) in Geography, Forestry, Landscape Ecology, Environmental Sciences or other relevant fields
- Advanced understanding of GIS software, especially ESRI ArcGIS and other Freeware GIS : Quantum GIS) and Image Processing Software (ENVI/ERMapper, Global Mapper)
- Proficient in English and Bahasa Indonesia, MS Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent written, oral and graphic communication skills, strong initiative and personal work ethic, ability to work under pressure when facing deadlines
Email English language cover letter and CV with contact details for two references to Paul Lemaistre at [email protected]. Deadline for application is Friday, 16 October, 2015. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.