Green Energy Advisor
Organization: Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
Posting Date: 03 November 2015
Closing Date: 04 December 2015
Location : Jakarta, Indonesia
Assignment : Individual Contractor
Position Number: GGGI-HR_15-146
*Expected start date is January 2016, pending final budgetary approval.
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is a new international organization committed to strong, inclusive green growth. We assist developing and emerging countries with integrating their ambitions for strong economic performance and environmental sustainability with the goal of bringing about poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
Headquartered in Seoul, GGGI was established by treaty in June 2012 at the United Nations Rio+20 Conference by an initial group of eighteen nations who share the organization’s vision. To date, there are a total of 24 Member Countries who joined the organization.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
The position will be responsible for providing day to day technical advice to relevant GoI counterparts and lead the energy workstream within the GoI-GGGI Green Growth Program. The position will manage a small team of consultants as needed for green growth assessments in support of planning, policies and tools to reduce risks to invest in green sectors and option and pre-FS studies (in on-/off-grid Solar PV, biomass, POME, BEMS etc). The position should be a strong engager, strategic thinker and be as practical as possible, build the business cases for green energy, facilitate discussions between investors and government. The position is expected to be the go-to person for all energy related matters in GGGI Indonesia.
The position reports to the GGGI Head of Program/Country Representative in Indonesia and is part of the global Green Growth Planning and Implementation (GGP&I) team. The position will be based at the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources to be part of the ‘hybrid team’ with government counterparts.
Key responsibilities include:
• Lead the energy workstream providing project and policy guidance focused on (1) mainstreaming renewable energy and energy efficiency into energy plans at national and subnational level, (2) identifying and conceptualizing energy projects and leading them onwards to project preparation with a view to reaching bankability.
• Closely collaborate and liaise with GGGI’s Green Investment Services (GIS) team based in Seoul for guidance and advice
• Be responsible for leading the strategic, managerial and technical elements under this workstream
• Be known as the key energy expert and focal point and be the coordinator on all related efforts including public and private sector stakeholder engagement.
• Have in-depth technology knowledge of renewable energy in Indonesia and abroad. Areas of immediate priority are solar power, biomass crops as a commodity on degraded land for power generation and various waste to power technologies. Knowledge on energy efficiency would be valuable.
• Organize relevant workshops and focal group discussions with key national and subnational stakeholders.
• Work closely with GoI partners in implementing the above, recognizing the importance of government buy-in and ownership in the implementation of all activities under the collaborative GoI-GGGI Green Growth Program.
All applicants must hold exemplary and relevant academic credentials, and must hold a post-graduate degree in a relevant subject from a leading academic institution and minimum of 3 years of experience.
• Masters Degree in renewable energy and/or related subjects
• Demonstrated project and policy expertise in the energy sector
• Analytical, problem-solving and strategic skills with track record experience in demonstrating successful conceptualization and financing of energy projects.
• Demonstrated capacity in facilitating in-depth and effective stakeholder dialogues while maintaining a strong sense of realism with regard to country conditions.
• Demonstrated ability to garner support from a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure local ownership of the various analytical results of investment assessments
• Outstanding interpersonal and stakeholder engagement skills, and consensus building skills, able to foster strong relationships with key energy related government agencies and understand government needs
• Flexibility, responsiveness, and ability to manage multiple activities to tight deadlines, and with demonstrated ability to lead and work in multidisciplinary teams;
• Effective and efficient operational and organisational skills – project management and project coordination experience
• Multi-cultural literacy and easily adaptable
• Strong oral and written English is essential, ability to speak Indonesian / Bahasa is highly desirable.
Indonesian nationals with international experience are encouraged to apply. Less years of experience will be considered if relevant to the position.
HOW TO APPLY
• Interested candidates should apply to: http://gggi.org/career/job/48/
• Please submit CV and Cover Letter in English
• Given the high volume of applications, GGGI can unfortunately only contact candidates with whom we intend to have further discussions
• For more information on GGGI, please visit our website at www.gggi.org.