GADING Organic Farming Officer for West-Java, Yogyakarta, NTB and NTT area (4 positions)
Position within the organization
The GADING Organic Farming Officer (OFO) will be supervised by and report to the GADING Project Manager. For daily operations, the OFO will report to Yayasan Rumah Energi’s (YRE) Provincial Coordinator.
Aim of the job
Under its Green Prosperity Project, Millennium Challenge Account Indonesia (MCA-I) has granted funds for a project initiated by Hivos together with its consortium partners, i.e. Yayasan Rumah Energi (YRE) and Wageningen University and Research Center (WUR), which titled Gathering and Dissemination of Information and Green Knowledge for a Sustainable Integrated Farming Workforce in Indonesia (GADING). GADING addresses workforce development by building research-based capacity regarding
sustainable growth by introducing a mixed farming approach making optimal use of local resources, wisdom and economic and sociocultural setting. Embedded in the existing Indonesia Domestic Biogas Programme (better known as BIRU programme), GADING aims to develop the agricultural workforce among and around biogas users, but also aims at the dissemination of skills and knowledge on the same subject among practitioners, agricultural teachers and government agencies, providing an economic development framework by building the knowledge on existing local economic activities. This way the project directly and indirectly contributes to economic prosperity and poverty reduction by introducing Lemna as a potential profitable crop, by using Lemna into the fodder cycle leading to faster growing and/or healthier animals, developing skills in the field of organic farming and pushing the role of farmers in the bio-slurry value chain supported by microfinance, while it helps to mitigate climate change through optimizing waste streams for renewable energy and mixed farming.
In general, the four OFOs to be recruited by YRE will be based and be responsible to implement the project in four of the BIRU project target areas: West-Java, Yogyakarta, NTB and NTT. To achieve thorough implementation, each OFO will be placed in YRE’s regional office in one of the four locations (Yogyakarta, Bandung, Mataram, and Waingapu) for the whole project duration (until end of December 2017).
OFOs are key staff members employed by Yayasan Rumah Energi within the Biogas Rumah (BIRU) project team in the four target provinces and will be working closely with Consortium lead member Hivos. He/she will ultimately report to the GADING Project Manager working in Hivos’ Jakarta office. However, in carrying out the daily duties, each OFO will report to and be supervised by YRE’s BIRU Provincial Coordinator.
Roles and responsibilities
Engage with biogas users and create interest in developing bioslurry and organic farming related small business;
- Work within the BIRU (Biogas Rumah) teams to optimize the use of bioslurry by biogas owners;
- Work closely with the local education partner and other stakeholders in reaching the project outputs;
- Ensure that project outputs and activities are systematically addressed in a timely and professional manner;
- Liaise intensively with relevant stakeholders to ensure involvement in support of reaching project outputs;
- Facilitate project team members, partners and other relevant stakeholders in undertaking project tasks, including data collection activities and visits;
- Represent the GADING project in a proper manner to all relevant stakeholders at the regional level;
- Undertake efforts to sustain a creative and inclusive learning environment;
- Play a role in and facilitate community level engagement and applied research activities and assist in maintaining a knowledge database;
- Provide guidance and advice to project beneficiaries;
- Undertake regular planning and reporting and attend meetings as required under the GADING project.
- Write human interest stories and produce pictures which can be used for communication purposes.
Knowledge and experience
– At least bachelor’s degree from a reputable university, preferably with agriculture and/or environmental management or engineering background;
– At least 4 years of experience in development work or related field, with exposure to community development work;
– Willing to be placed in one of the four project offices (preferred location(s) to be mentioned);
– Work experience in an international environment is preferred;
– Good command of English language;
– Able to cooperate and communicate well with peers and stakeholders.
Applicants should send their application and CV (including three references) in pdf file to: [email protected] with position code as email subject. Applications are requested by 20 October 2015 at the latest; thereafter the position will remain open until filled.
HRD Yayasan Rumah Energi Jalan Ampera IV Gg.H.rais No.1 Jakarta 12550, Indonesia Tel. +62-21-782-1086, 782-1090 Fax. +62-21-7806746 [email protected]