RiskManagement, Economic Sustainability and Actuarial Science Development inIndonesia (READI)
Program Officer, MathOutreach
Terms of Reference
1.0 READIProject Background
The Program/Project/activity is undertakenwith the financial support of the Government of Canada provided through theDepartment of Global Affairs Canada (GAC), with the University of Waterloo(uWaterloo) serving as the Canadian Executing Agency (CEA). The objective ofthe project is to establish Indonesia as a regional centre of actuarialexcellence. The project is working with a range of key stakeholders – includinghigh schools and universities, the insurance and pensions industry, Indonesia’sprofessional actuarial association, and government agencies – to: (1) increasethe number and quality of Indonesian actuarial science graduates available toIndonesian businesses, universities and government agencies; (2) strengthenthe linkages between industry, government and educational institutions insupport of actuarial science and risk management; and (3) deepen the understandingof actuarial science and risk management as a profession.
2.0 Scope of Work
The incumbent will spend a significant portion of timein schools within Indonesia promoting mathematics as a discipline, conductingproblem solving workshops, and presenting the many careers in and applicationsof mathematics. The incumbent will workclosely with Indonesian university faculty to provide training in theactivities above. Significant liaisonwith government and industry partners will be required. Eight to twelve weeks of travel to Canadawill be necessary for incumbent training. This will bea six month contract with an opportunity of renewal based on performance at theend of the six month period.
3.0 Specific Responsibilities
Lead fun, interactive mathematics workshopsfor high school and middle school students
· Promote Mathematics as adiscipline
· Demonstrate careers in and theapplications of mathematics in the world
· Demonstrate and teach valuableproblem solving skills at the middle and high school levels
· Promote the writing ofmathematics contests
· Translate or outsourcetranslation of CEMC outreach content to Bahasa Indonesia with sensitivity tocultural differences and relevance
· Develop new outreach materialthat aligns with Indonesian curriculum· Develop new outreach materialthat promotes actuarial science as a profession
Participate extensively in additionaloutreach activities
· Assist with the creation andadministration of the partner universities’ mathematics contests
· Train university faculty in allaspects of successful mathematical outreach
· Conduct outreach workshops formiddle and high school mathematics teachers
· Create promotional materialsfor mathematics outreach
Maintain knowledge of the national Indonesianeducation system
· Mathematics curriculum · Testing and examination systems
· Report on changes and trends
· Advise university outreach,recruiting and admissions teams on these changes and implications to currentpractices
Present overviews of and promote thepartner universities’ undergraduate mathematics programs
· Maintain current knowledge ofpartner universities’ programs and admissions requirements.
· Perform market researchcontributing to overall outreach strategy.
· Prepare market-specificoutreach strategies including, but not limited to: developing contacts,creating schedule of activities, and making travel arrangements.
· Attend recruitment, education,and career fairs; deliver customized presentations.· Perform Mathematics outreachworkshops using (translated) CEMC materials and guidelines. · Promotion and organization ofactuarial science outreach days for high school students at insurance companies.
· Organize and attend follow-upevents.· Organize and attend recruitmentand outreach related trips by various university personnel. · Develop metrics, analyze data,and report on results.
· Develop metrics to determinehow outreach affects admissions.· Report on outreach activitiesand data.· Identify trends and events thatwill affect outreach and admissions activities at partner universities.· Research and recommend strategyenhancements.
4.0 EstimatedLevel of Effort and Timing
Travel: Extensive travel required, including 8 to 12weeks annually within Canada for the first 2 to 3 years
· Regular working hours when inthe office
· Extensive evening and weekendwork may be required when traveling for school visits and presentations. Mayinclude extended out of town stays
Reporting: Incumbent would report to the READI FieldDirector
Start Date: September 2016
Salary: Will be based on qualifications. Position iscontingent on funding.
Deadline to submit resume: July 27, 2016
Please submitresume to Laura Wilson, READI Project Officer at [email protected]
5.0 Criteriafor Selection (Qualifications and Experience)
Bachelor’s Degree with a knowledge in MathematicsAdvanced knowledge of successful mathematics teachingstrategies
Data analysis skills
Advanced public speaking and presentation skills inboth English and Bahasa Indonesia
Advanced ability to relate to a wide variety ofaudiences
Advanced ability to think “on their feet” in anysituation during a presentation
At least 3-5 years of experience
Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app