Hivos Southeast Asia is a Dutch non-governmental organization guided by
humanist values. It aims at structural poverty alleviation with a strong
focus on civil society building and sustainable economic development. Hivos
Southeast Asia provides financial support for local NGOs, is active in
networking, lobbying and exchanging knowledge and expertise. For its Hivos
Southeast Asia seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for the position of:
Title : Field Project Manager -SII
Duty Station : Sumba, Indonesia
Duration : One year, with possibility of extension
Report to : Project Manager Green Energy
In 2010 Hivos Southeast Asia started the Iconic Island initiative. The
Indonesian island of Sumba was chosen as the ‘Iconic Island’. Hivos
Southeast Asia aims to provide access to reliable renewable forms of energy
to the population of this island, and in doing so, ending their dependency
on fossil fuels and support development and economic activities of the local
population. With years of experience working with partner organizations to
establish access to sustainable energy in developing countries, Hivos
Southeast Asia is convinced that converting to sustainable energy while
combining poverty reduction, is possible on a large scale. The results of
the Iconic Island initiative should become an example for other parts of the
In December 2015, Hivos Southeast Asia signed a partnership agreement with
the Millennium Challenge Account-Indonesia (MCA-I) which allows Hivos
Southeast Asia to rapidly scale up renewable energy access and income
benefits by replicating the successful approaches and business models
developed under our Sumba Iconic Island (SII). The partnership agreement is
working to achieve two outcomes; improvement of rural livelihoods through
utilization of renewable energy in rural communities; and sustainable
business models to create market (energy market and energy appliances
market) of off-grid RE technologies adopted.
The Field Project Manager will be responsible for the well run day-to-day
project delivery in the field, provide leadership to field team members and
partners including implementation, coaching/mentoring, donor reporting,
documentation and facilitating local partners in implementing a successful
renewable energy projects in Sumba according to Hivos’s standard and donor’s
requirements. S/he will provide senior leadership to the project’s field
implementation team. This position will be full-time based in Sumba office,
Roles and responsibilities
1. To play a proactive role in the implementation of the multi
stakeholders Sumba Iconic Island initiative which aims at realising 100%
renewable energy at Sumba Island.
2. Leading and supervise the day-to-day field work of Sumba Iconic
Island project staffs, identify and resolve problems as needed
3. Leading the field coordination of consortium project members (Winrock
International, Village Infrastructure Angel and Yayasan Rumah Energi)
4. Ensures that field staffs are performing according to their job
descriptions, programme guidelines, budgets, implementation plans,
deliverables and other relevant instruction.
5. To create financial planning, budgeting, performance, capacity
development and risks management of projects.
6. Establish and foster good coordination and communication among team
members, consortium partner’s staff member/consultant
7. To forge strong relationships and build supportive networks with
relevant stakeholders and managing communication at the local level.
8. To be responsible for the progress of the project, including:
delivering high quality and timely project outputs as planned, monitoring
and evaluation of the impact and outcome and providing regular progress
9. Provide input to the Deputy Project Manager for quarterly project
narrative reports based on the field team inputs, accordingly donor
requirements and ensure the submission of the (draft) reports within agreed
10. Responsibility to check financial reports to be sent to the Jakarta
11. To identify and assess problems/specific issues and work to be resolved
together with PM Green Energy (Sumba)
12. Support knowledge dissemination through training, mentoring and field
13. To contribute to Hivos Southeast’s overall organizational and policy
14. To be a reliable and supportive team member to the whole team.
Knowledge, experiences and competencies
1. A degree in rural development, sustainable energy, environmental and
natural resource management, economics of natural resources or other
2. 5 -7 years of experience in leading energy project development,
project management and community engagement.
3. Good understanding of the socio-economic aspects, including gender,
of development projects.
4. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills including public
speaking in Bahasa Indonesia, and English.
5. Show successful track record working in a team and within
6. Knowledge and experience applying monitoring and evaluation tools and
using information gathered to improve project performance.
7. Experience in building capacity of partner organizations and
demonstrated success in interacting with government agencies.
8. Strong interpersonal communication to effectively interact with
donors, civil society organizations, government officials and community.
9. Sound experience in contributing to partnerships and multi actor
10. Good understanding of and strong affinity with civil society, in
particular with non-governmental organizations.
11. Previous working experience in an international
environment/organization would be an advantage
12. Having respect for humanitarian or humanist principles and willing to
work in a non- discriminating, neutral, impartial and gender equal
13. Willing to stay at Sumba and travel to other places in Indonesia for
What do we offer?
An inspiring and dynamic working environment, dedicated colleagues and the
possibility to work for an ambitious new international initiative.
How to apply?
This is an opened position at national level.
Please specify the position name you are applying for (‘Field Project
Manager-SII’) in the ‘subject’ line of your email. Only shortlisted
candidates will be notified.
For more information about Hivos Southeast Asia, visit https://hivos.org/.